Former bishop Moynihan dies
Most Rev. James M. Moynihan, retired ninth bishop of the Diocese of Syracuse, died today, the Diocese announced on its website. He was 84.
“Today, we all join in mourning the death of Most Rev. James M. Moynihan who served as the 9th bishop of Syracuse from 1995-2009. In the 84th year of his life and the 60th year of his priesthood, the Lord has called Bishop Moynihan to Himself,” Bishop Robert J. Cunningham said in a statement. “We thank him for a lifetime of service to the church and in a very special way for his service to the Diocese of Syracuse. We pray now that the evening has come, the fever of his life is over, his work is done and that God will give him a safe lodging, holy rest and peace forever.”
A Rochester native, Bishop Moynihan was ordained and installed as the bishop of the Diocese of Syracuse on May 29, 1995. He retired on April 21, 2009.
His 14 years included "shining moments and dark days, from spearheading some of the most successful fundraising campaigns in the diocese’s history and supporting the sainthood cause of a local Franciscan sister to implementing parish reconfigurations and addressing the clergy sexual abuse crisis," said the Diocese announcement.
Capitol Theatre to host Tuba Christmas on Tuesday
Grace Union offers choir event Sunday
Apartment project for seniors receives $10.8M loan
Arc offers free concert Tuesday
- 4:00pm 12/08/18Grace Union offers choir event Sunday
- 4:00pm 12/08/18Gifts hidden in plain sight
- 4:00pm 12/08/18Christmas concert at St. Joseph’s Friday
- 4:00pm 12/08/18Christmas pageant in Oriskany
- 4:00pm 12/08/18Women’s club meets Thursday
- 4:00pm 12/08/18Advent Lessons and Carols Sunday
- 4:00pm 12/08/18Healing service in Westmoreland
- 4:00pm 12/08/18Community Center seeks donations
- 4:00pm 12/01/18Seven things God says to you in the battle
- 4:00pm 12/01/18Solstice at the Cathedral concert in Syracuse Dec. 6, 7