TIME TO GET READY — A nurse prepares a flu shot in this Associated Press file photo. Oneida County Health Department officials are warning about the impending start of the flu season, advising residents that now is the time to get, or make arrangements to receive, a flu shot. (AP file photo)
Flu season coming on quickly, health department warns; officials say the time is now to get annual flu vaccine
With flu season quickly approaching, the Oneida County Health Department is stressing the importance of being educated on prevention, and most importantly: getting a flu shot.
It takes about two weeks after vaccination for antibodies to develop and to provide protection against the flu. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that everyone 6 months-old and older get a flu vaccine every year.
“The best way to safeguard yourself from the serious health risks posed by the flu virus, is to quite simply, get vaccinated,” said Oneida County Executive Anthony J. Picente Jr. “While I urge everyone to take all of the other necessary precautions to avoid contact with the flu, I urge you above all else to get a flu shot wherever they are available.”
Additional tips to preventing the spread of the flu include:
- Stay home from work and school if you are sick to limit the spread of germs. It is possible to have the flu and spread it before showing symptoms.
- Cough or sneeze into the corner of your arm, or cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue.
- Wash your hands. This is a very good way to limit the spread of germs.
Check with your doctor, pharmacy, or Oneida County Health Department if you would like a flu shot. For more information or to schedule an appointment for a flu shot, call 315-798-5747.
Capitol Theatre to host Tuba Christmas on Tuesday
Grace Union offers choir event Sunday
Apartment project for seniors receives $10.8M loan
Arc offers free concert Tuesday
- 4:00pm 12/08/18Grace Union offers choir event Sunday
- 4:00pm 12/08/18Gifts hidden in plain sight
- 4:00pm 12/08/18Christmas concert at St. Joseph’s Friday
- 4:00pm 12/08/18Christmas pageant in Oriskany
- 4:00pm 12/08/18Women’s club meets Thursday
- 4:00pm 12/08/18Advent Lessons and Carols Sunday
- 4:00pm 12/08/18Healing service in Westmoreland
- 4:00pm 12/08/18Community Center seeks donations
- 4:00pm 12/01/18Seven things God says to you in the battle
- 4:00pm 12/01/18Solstice at the Cathedral concert in Syracuse Dec. 6, 7