DEC announces lifeguard qualifying dates
Several lifeguard qualifying procedure dates have been announced by the state Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC), including for locations in Holland Patent and Turin.
They include March 24 at 9 a.m. at Holland Patent High School, 8079 Thomson Road, and May 5 at 9 a.m. at South Lewis Central School, 4264 East Road in Turin.
The DEC said it encourages anyone who loves the outdoors and camping and is looking for summer employment to take one of its free lifeguard qualifying procedures. Seasonal lifeguard positions will be available in DEC campgrounds throughout the Adirondack and Catskill parks this summer. The current hourly rate for DEC lifeguards is $13.27, and most facilities offer free housing, the DEC added.
Persons of ages 16 and older who are interested in lifeguard jobs at DEC facilities this summer can register. The procedure includes an in-water demonstration of life-saving techniques and performance of Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) skills. Candidates’ results will be forwarded to their preferred DEC work location.
Completing the lifeguard qualifying procedure is among the requirements that DEC lifeguards must meet at the time of employment.
For more information or to pre-register, call 518-457-2500 ext. #1, e-mail Info.LifeGuard@dec.ny.gov or visit DEC’s website at dec.ny.gov/about/726.html##LifeguardPositions online.
Herkimer Home opens Saturday
View offers ceramics workshop June 2
Unity Hall hosts author Chuck D’Imperio May 30
Rome Art Association holds spring show in Old Forge
- 4:00pm 05/19/18Local ministry seeks to spread message of love to community
- 4:00pm 05/19/18Donation to Rome Rescue Mission
- 4:00pm 05/19/18Women’s Day service Sunday
- 4:00pm 05/19/18Women’s club meets May 22
- 4:00pm 05/19/18‘Beauty Secrets’ theme for meeting
- 4:00pm 05/19/18Church offers free meal May 26
- 4:00pm 05/19/18First Baptist hosts basement sale
- 4:00pm 05/19/18Importance of spring cleaning
- 4:00pm 05/16/18Butterfly tea event Saturday
- 4:00pm 05/12/18Strength of a mother’s love