County cautious on voting plan
Early voting and same-day registration would be required in Oneida County and elsewhere in the state in Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo’s latest push to expand voting by New Yorkers.
Counties would have to provide at least one day of polling during the 12 days leading up to an election, under the proposal. Additionally, the Democrat wants one polling location for every 50,000 residents, open at least eight hours a day on weekdays and five hours on weekends.
With about 232,500 people, that means Oneida County would have to operate at least four polling sites. New York is one of only 13 states that does not allow early voting.
Besides early voting, Cuomo’s proposal also includes plans for same-day registration and automatic voter registration.
Oneida County’s election commissioners, Rose Marie Grimaldi and Jordan S. Karp, say they are withholding comment until they know more about what’s being proposed.
“These are broad strokes right now,” said Karp.
Grimaldi said there are election law considerations and budget implications that will have to be assessed.
Cuomo is highlighting his “Project Democracy” voting plan in his State of the State speech this week. The governor delivered the first of six addresses in New York City on Monday. He will give his Central New York version Wednesday in Syracuse.
Residents would also be able to register to vote on Election Day itself, instead of having to meet deadlines well in advance.
New Yorkers would automatically be registered to vote when they apply for an ID at the DMV, and would have to check an opt out box if they don’t want to register.
More on the governor’s proposals in his traveling State of the State speeches, see page 8.
Young gardeners receive national honors
MVHS, Masonic research lab explore affiliation
Roast pork dinner slated Jan. 29
Just walk across the room
- 4:00pm 01/21/17Roast pork dinner slated Jan. 29
- 4:00pm 01/21/17Just walk across the room
- 4:00pm 01/19/17Free ‘Day of Unity’ Saturday in Presbyterian Church
- 4:00pm 01/19/17String Bee plays at Trinity Jan. 21
- 4:00pm 01/14/17Women gather Thursday in Canastota
- 4:00pm 01/14/17Cincinnati Creek plays Tuesday
- 4:00pm 01/14/17Come what may, be content
- 4:00pm 01/14/17‘Sing a New Song’ Tuesday
- 4:00pm 01/07/17MLK prayer breakfast Jan. 16
- 4:00pm 01/07/17Spiritual growth