County cautious on voting plan
Early voting and same-day registration would be required in Oneida County and elsewhere in the state in Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo’s latest push to expand voting by New Yorkers.
Counties would have to provide at least one day of polling during the 12 days leading up to an election, under the proposal. Additionally, the Democrat wants one polling location for every 50,000 residents, open at least eight hours a day on weekdays and five hours on weekends.
With about 232,500 people, that means Oneida County would have to operate at least four polling sites. New York is one of only 13 states that does not allow early voting.
Besides early voting, Cuomo’s proposal also includes plans for same-day registration and automatic voter registration.
Oneida County’s election commissioners, Rose Marie Grimaldi and Jordan S. Karp, say they are withholding comment until they know more about what’s being proposed.
“These are broad strokes right now,” said Karp.
Grimaldi said there are election law considerations and budget implications that will have to be assessed.
Cuomo is highlighting his “Project Democracy” voting plan in his State of the State speech this week. The governor delivered the first of six addresses in New York City on Monday. He will give his Central New York version Wednesday in Syracuse.
Residents would also be able to register to vote on Election Day itself, instead of having to meet deadlines well in advance.
New Yorkers would automatically be registered to vote when they apply for an ID at the DMV, and would have to check an opt out box if they don’t want to register.
More on the governor’s proposals in his traveling State of the State speeches, see page 8.
Heart Run & Walk March 3
Meet new friends at Ava Dorfman event
Funds reinstated in federal hospital program good news for Oneida Healthcare
Regional Center for Wound Care shares tips on how to live a heart healthy life
- 4:00pm 02/17/18Women’s club meets Feb. 20
- 4:00pm 02/17/18Stone Soup event aids food pantry
- 4:00pm 02/17/18Church offers free meal Feb. 24
- 4:00pm 02/17/18Non Nobis Domine: The Glory belongs to God
- 4:00pm 02/10/18Spaghetti dinner served Feb. 18
- 4:00pm 02/10/18Drive-through ashing in Lee, Verona Feb. 14
- 4:00pm 02/10/18St. Peter’s offers ashes in Verona
- 4:00pm 02/10/18Services at Trinity United Methodist
- 4:00pm 02/10/18Meal aids Lutheran Disaster Response
- 4:00pm 02/10/18The Kingdom of Heaven is ‘within you’