County cautious on voting plan
Early voting and same-day registration would be required in Oneida County and elsewhere in the state in Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo’s latest push to expand voting by New Yorkers.
Counties would have to provide at least one day of polling during the 12 days leading up to an election, under the proposal. Additionally, the Democrat wants one polling location for every 50,000 residents, open at least eight hours a day on weekdays and five hours on weekends.
With about 232,500 people, that means Oneida County would have to operate at least four polling sites. New York is one of only 13 states that does not allow early voting.
Besides early voting, Cuomo’s proposal also includes plans for same-day registration and automatic voter registration.
Oneida County’s election commissioners, Rose Marie Grimaldi and Jordan S. Karp, say they are withholding comment until they know more about what’s being proposed.
“These are broad strokes right now,” said Karp.
Grimaldi said there are election law considerations and budget implications that will have to be assessed.
Cuomo is highlighting his “Project Democracy” voting plan in his State of the State speech this week. The governor delivered the first of six addresses in New York City on Monday. He will give his Central New York version Wednesday in Syracuse.
Residents would also be able to register to vote on Election Day itself, instead of having to meet deadlines well in advance.
New Yorkers would automatically be registered to vote when they apply for an ID at the DMV, and would have to check an opt out box if they don’t want to register.
More on the governor’s proposals in his traveling State of the State speeches, see page 8.
Fiddlers Association concert Sunday
Summer Showcase auditions June 26, 27 at Players of Utica
Donations accepted Friday at ‘Big Combo’ showing
‘Apparition Hill’ about life and what comes after
- 4:00pm 06/21/17Theaters of Rome program Friday at First Prebyterian
- 4:00pm 06/17/17Women’s group gathers Thursday
- 4:00pm 06/17/17What Jesus offers us — incredible food for the journey
- 4:00pm 06/10/17Sylvan Beach Union Chapel starts 130th season June 18
- 4:00pm 06/10/17Father’s Day BBQ in Blossvale
- 4:00pm 06/10/17Unitarian Church pilgrimage June 18
- 4:00pm 06/10/17Strawberry Festival in Sherrill June 17
- 4:00pm 06/10/17‘The Shack’ screens in Vernon Tuesday
- 4:00pm 06/10/17Guest speakers mark anniversary
- 4:00pm 06/10/17Chicken dinner Sunday in Clark Mills