FENCING WORKSHOP — Troy Bishopp, Upper Susquehanna Coalition Regional Grassland conservation professional, will host a workshop June 28 for veterans interested in becoming farmers and raising livestock.
Coalition to offer free Livestock Fence Building Workshop for local veterans
The Farmer Veteran Coalition of New York will host a Livestock Fence Building Workshop for local veterans from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday, June 28 at Three Sisters Farm, 7594 Lower Streiff Road, according to an announcement by the organization.
Admission is free and a light lunch will be served, the announcement added..
To register or for more information, call Melissa Oles, membership coordinator for the Farmer Veteran Coalition of New York at 845-532-6768 or e-mail at Melissa@farmvetco.org.
The workshop is geared toward veterans interested in pursuing a livestock enterprise, where they will learn that a good fence is necessary for managing animals on the land.
Army Veteran and beginning farmer, John Slifka, of Three Sisters Farm, will team up with Sons of the American Legion member, grass farmer, conservation professional and former fence contractor Troy Bishopp to show others the techniques of building long-lasting fences for the first time.
The hands-on event will show veteran farmers how to use a hydraulic post driver, build braces correctly, install high tensile wire fence components, where to find resources, learn tricks of the trade and price their own job using materials that will last, the announcement said.
In addition, fence chargers, portable fencing and pasture management strategies will be discussed.
The event sponsors are: The Farmer Veteran Coalition of New York, Madison and Oneida Soil & Water Conservation Districts, Bishopp Family Farm, The Cornell Small Farms Program, Tom Bryant, Stewart Shops and Lee Publications.
Cinema screens Oscar nominated foreign language film
Zombie inspired ‘Romeo and Juliet’ starts March 2 at Colgate
Australian pop group on stage March 1
Meryl Streep, Tom Hanks star in ‘Best Picture’ contender ‘The Post’
- 4:00pm 02/17/18Women’s club meets Feb. 20
- 4:00pm 02/17/18Stone Soup event aids food pantry
- 4:00pm 02/17/18Church offers free meal Feb. 24
- 4:00pm 02/17/18Non Nobis Domine: The Glory belongs to God
- 4:00pm 02/10/18Spaghetti dinner served Feb. 18
- 4:00pm 02/10/18Drive-through ashing in Lee, Verona Feb. 14
- 4:00pm 02/10/18St. Peter’s offers ashes in Verona
- 4:00pm 02/10/18Services at Trinity United Methodist
- 4:00pm 02/10/18Meal aids Lutheran Disaster Response
- 4:00pm 02/10/18The Kingdom of Heaven is ‘within you’