Area unemployment rate up compared to March 2017
The local unemployment rate decreased from February to March though it was up compared to March 2017, according to new statistics from the state Labor Department.
The Utica-Rome metro area’s rate was 6 percent in March. That’s down from 6.6 percent in February but up from 5.5 percent in March of last year.
The rate is expected to decrease in April, as it has every year for the past decade.
“In April, natural resources, mining and construction, and leisure and hospitality usually see growth, but this years’ late winter storms may slow the pick-up in employment in these industries,” noted Brion C. Acton, associate economist for the department.
Here are the rates for the local counties:
- Oneida — 5.8 percent, down from 6.3 percent in February but up from 5.2 percent in March 2017.
- Madison —6.7 percent, down from 7.2 percent in February but up from 6.1 percent in March 2017.
- Herkimer — 7.1 percent, down from 7.6 percent in February but up from 6.6 percent in March 2017.
- Lewis — 8.4 percent, down from 9.1 percent in February and from 8.6 percent in March 2017.
- Oswego — 7.4 percent, down from 8.2 percent in February but up from 6.9 percent in March 2017.
The local job count fell by 1,600 for the 12-month period ending in March.
The Utica-Rome metro area’s non-agricultural job count fell 1,600 — 1.3 percent — to 124,700. Private sector employment dropped by 600 — 0.6 percent — to 94,100.
Job gains occurred in financial activities (+100), leisure and hospitality (+100), professional and business services (+100), and trade, transportation and utilities (+100).
Job losses were posted in government (-1,000), education and health services (-700), manufacturing (-200), and information (-100).
In government, losses primarily occurred in local government education (-600).
Among counties with lowest March unemployment rates: Albany, Saratoga and Tompkins at 4.2-4.5 percent.
Cinema screens animated movie with all-star cast
Sign-up for June Food $en$e today
Junior Dairy Leaders graduation slated
DEC reminds campers to use local firewood
- 4:00pm 05/19/18Local ministry seeks to spread message of love to community
- 4:00pm 05/19/18Donation to Rome Rescue Mission
- 4:00pm 05/19/18Women’s Day service Sunday
- 4:00pm 05/19/18Women’s club meets May 22
- 4:00pm 05/19/18‘Beauty Secrets’ theme for meeting
- 4:00pm 05/19/18Church offers free meal May 26
- 4:00pm 05/19/18First Baptist hosts basement sale
- 4:00pm 05/19/18Importance of spring cleaning
- 4:00pm 05/16/18Butterfly tea event Saturday
- 4:00pm 05/12/18Strength of a mother’s love