Area unemployment rate up compared to March 2017
The local unemployment rate decreased from February to March though it was up compared to March 2017, according to new statistics from the state Labor Department.
The Utica-Rome metro area’s rate was 6 percent in March. That’s down from 6.6 percent in February but up from 5.5 percent in March of last year.
The rate is expected to decrease in April, as it has every year for the past decade.
“In April, natural resources, mining and construction, and leisure and hospitality usually see growth, but this years’ late winter storms may slow the pick-up in employment in these industries,” noted Brion C. Acton, associate economist for the department.
Here are the rates for the local counties:
- Oneida — 5.8 percent, down from 6.3 percent in February but up from 5.2 percent in March 2017.
- Madison —6.7 percent, down from 7.2 percent in February but up from 6.1 percent in March 2017.
- Herkimer — 7.1 percent, down from 7.6 percent in February but up from 6.6 percent in March 2017.
- Lewis — 8.4 percent, down from 9.1 percent in February and from 8.6 percent in March 2017.
- Oswego — 7.4 percent, down from 8.2 percent in February but up from 6.9 percent in March 2017.
The local job count fell by 1,600 for the 12-month period ending in March.
The Utica-Rome metro area’s non-agricultural job count fell 1,600 — 1.3 percent — to 124,700. Private sector employment dropped by 600 — 0.6 percent — to 94,100.
Job gains occurred in financial activities (+100), leisure and hospitality (+100), professional and business services (+100), and trade, transportation and utilities (+100).
Job losses were posted in government (-1,000), education and health services (-700), manufacturing (-200), and information (-100).
In government, losses primarily occurred in local government education (-600).
Among counties with lowest March unemployment rates: Albany, Saratoga and Tompkins at 4.2-4.5 percent.
MVHS offices add nurse practitioners
Fly shot clinic in Deerfield Oct. 24
Bone marrow drive Oct. 27
Dispirito joins Chestnut Commons Physical, Occupational Therapy
- 4:00pm 10/20/18Special service in Oriskany
- 4:00pm 10/20/18Jesus is the great unifier for all of us
- 4:00pm 10/20/18Special service in Clinton Oct. 28
- 4:00pm 10/20/18Trunk or Treat in Westmoreland
- 4:00pm 10/20/18Stittville church serves roast pork
- 4:00pm 10/20/18Clinton church hosts pie sale
- 4:00pm 10/20/18AREA CHURCH SERVICES
- 4:00pm 10/15/18New hours for church Clothing Closet
- 4:00pm 10/13/18Consequences for our choices
- 4:00pm 10/13/18Trinity Community Coffee House hosts The Cadleys Oct. 20