Area unemployment rate up compared to March 2017
The local unemployment rate decreased from February to March though it was up compared to March 2017, according to new statistics from the state Labor Department.
The Utica-Rome metro area’s rate was 6 percent in March. That’s down from 6.6 percent in February but up from 5.5 percent in March of last year.
The rate is expected to decrease in April, as it has every year for the past decade.
“In April, natural resources, mining and construction, and leisure and hospitality usually see growth, but this years’ late winter storms may slow the pick-up in employment in these industries,” noted Brion C. Acton, associate economist for the department.
Here are the rates for the local counties:
- Oneida — 5.8 percent, down from 6.3 percent in February but up from 5.2 percent in March 2017.
- Madison —6.7 percent, down from 7.2 percent in February but up from 6.1 percent in March 2017.
- Herkimer — 7.1 percent, down from 7.6 percent in February but up from 6.6 percent in March 2017.
- Lewis — 8.4 percent, down from 9.1 percent in February and from 8.6 percent in March 2017.
- Oswego — 7.4 percent, down from 8.2 percent in February but up from 6.9 percent in March 2017.
The local job count fell by 1,600 for the 12-month period ending in March.
The Utica-Rome metro area’s non-agricultural job count fell 1,600 — 1.3 percent — to 124,700. Private sector employment dropped by 600 — 0.6 percent — to 94,100.
Job gains occurred in financial activities (+100), leisure and hospitality (+100), professional and business services (+100), and trade, transportation and utilities (+100).
Job losses were posted in government (-1,000), education and health services (-700), manufacturing (-200), and information (-100).
In government, losses primarily occurred in local government education (-600).
Among counties with lowest March unemployment rates: Albany, Saratoga and Tompkins at 4.2-4.5 percent.
Children: Investment for the future
Kenwood Library hosts Gold Rush Day
Mount Calvary marks anniversary
Service and picnic Sunday in Oriskany
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Children: Investment for the future
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Mount Calvary marks anniversary
- 4:00pm 08/18/18Service and picnic Sunday in Oriskany
- 4:00pm 08/11/18Honesty, integrity, and being true to their word
- 4:00pm 08/11/18Grace Union AME Church to host revival service
- 4:00pm 08/11/18Hecla Hall to host picnic-style meal
- 4:00pm 08/11/18‘The Blessing of the Boats’ Sunday in Sylvan Beach
- 4:00pm 08/04/18Philippians 3:13-14: How to reach your goal
- 4:00pm 08/04/18Roof, steeple work at Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church
- 4:00pm 08/04/18Vacation Bible School in Westmoreland