Area gas prices buck recent trend and dip slightly
The average price of a gallon of regular-grade gasoline has jumped seven cents nationally over the past three weeks to $2.65, according to trade analysts, with an increase in higher crude oil costs to blame.
The current gas price is 34 cents above where it was a year ago, industry analysts said.
The New YorksState average is $2.76, down two cents from last week. A year ago, the NYS average was $2.48, according to AAA Western and Central New York, which reports the following averages:
- Buffalo — $2.69 (no change in past week);
- Ithaca — $2.73 (down 1 cent in past week);
- Rochester — $2.70 (down 1 cent in past week);
- Rome — $2.76 (down 1 cent in past week);
- Syracuse — $2.71 (no change in past week);
- Watertown — $2.78 (down 1 cent in past week).
Gas prices across the state are dipping slightly thanks to rising inventories of gasoline along the East Coast.
Consumer gasoline demand continues to climb, hitting its highest point yet in 2018. According to the Energy Information Administration’s latest weekly petroleum status report, demand registered at 9.11 million barrels per day. That is 70,000 b/d more than the previous week and nearly 170,000 barrels per day more than the same time in 2017.
Typically demand reaches high rates in March when the spring driving season kicks off. Among factors, strong consumer confidence in the economy has contributed to drivers using more gasoline than usual this winter.
Motorists can find current gas prices along their route with the free AAA Mobile app for iPhone, iPad, and Android.
The app can also be used to map a route, find discounts, book a hotel, and access AAA roadside assistance. Locate gas prices across the country at http://gasprices.aaa.com.
Gas in San Francisco was the highest in the contiguous United States at an average of $3.42 a gallon. The lowest was in Tucson, Arizona, at $2.26 a gallon.
The U.S. average diesel price is $3.04, up five cents from three weeks ago.
Goat Yoga is baaaaack at Fort Rickey
Coupons for seniors offered Friday at Farmer’s Market
New York Mills school reunion slated for Aug. 4
Sign-up for wine trail trip
- 4:00pm 07/14/18I have competed well
- 4:00pm 07/14/18The Puffers perform Sunday
- 4:00pm 07/14/18Women gather Tuesday
- 4:00pm 07/10/18Constableville church to host Vacation Bible school
- 4:00pm 07/07/18Do not run from the fight — you are strong in The Lord
- 4:00pm 07/07/18AREA CHURCH SERVICES
- 4:00pm 07/07/18Harp & Harmony concert Sunday
- 4:00pm 07/07/18Free B Sharp concert July 10
- 4:00pm 07/07/18Stittville social, concert July 10
- 4:00pm 07/07/18Chicken BBQ served July 14