Area gas prices buck recent trend and dip slightly
The average price of a gallon of regular-grade gasoline has jumped seven cents nationally over the past three weeks to $2.65, according to trade analysts, with an increase in higher crude oil costs to blame.
The current gas price is 34 cents above where it was a year ago, industry analysts said.
The New YorksState average is $2.76, down two cents from last week. A year ago, the NYS average was $2.48, according to AAA Western and Central New York, which reports the following averages:
- Buffalo — $2.69 (no change in past week);
- Ithaca — $2.73 (down 1 cent in past week);
- Rochester — $2.70 (down 1 cent in past week);
- Rome — $2.76 (down 1 cent in past week);
- Syracuse — $2.71 (no change in past week);
- Watertown — $2.78 (down 1 cent in past week).
Gas prices across the state are dipping slightly thanks to rising inventories of gasoline along the East Coast.
Consumer gasoline demand continues to climb, hitting its highest point yet in 2018. According to the Energy Information Administration’s latest weekly petroleum status report, demand registered at 9.11 million barrels per day. That is 70,000 b/d more than the previous week and nearly 170,000 barrels per day more than the same time in 2017.
Typically demand reaches high rates in March when the spring driving season kicks off. Among factors, strong consumer confidence in the economy has contributed to drivers using more gasoline than usual this winter.
Motorists can find current gas prices along their route with the free AAA Mobile app for iPhone, iPad, and Android.
The app can also be used to map a route, find discounts, book a hotel, and access AAA roadside assistance. Locate gas prices across the country at http://gasprices.aaa.com.
Gas in San Francisco was the highest in the contiguous United States at an average of $3.42 a gallon. The lowest was in Tucson, Arizona, at $2.26 a gallon.
The U.S. average diesel price is $3.04, up five cents from three weeks ago.
Non Nobis Domine: The Glory belongs to God
Women’s club meets Feb. 20
Stone Soup event aids food pantry
Church offers free meal Feb. 24
- 4:00pm 02/17/18Women’s club meets Feb. 20
- 4:00pm 02/17/18Stone Soup event aids food pantry
- 4:00pm 02/17/18Church offers free meal Feb. 24
- 4:00pm 02/17/18Non Nobis Domine: The Glory belongs to God
- 4:00pm 02/10/18Spaghetti dinner served Feb. 18
- 4:00pm 02/10/18Drive-through ashing in Lee, Verona Feb. 14
- 4:00pm 02/10/18St. Peter’s offers ashes in Verona
- 4:00pm 02/10/18Services at Trinity United Methodist
- 4:00pm 02/10/18Meal aids Lutheran Disaster Response
- 4:00pm 02/10/18The Kingdom of Heaven is ‘within you’