Area facilities receive state low-cost power awards
Low-cost electricity for facilities in Utica, Frankfort and Lowville were among state power and funding incentives for 22 employers that were approved Tuesday by the New York Power Authority Board of Trustees.
The statewide awards, including businesses, non-profits and other organizations, are in exchange for promises to create or retain jobs.
Among the state programs is ReCharge NY, which uses low-cost hydropower as an economic development incentive. Area recipients were noted by Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s office:
• Trenton Technology, an industrial computing company in Utica, was awarded with ReCharge NY power in return for a commitment to retain 218 jobs, create 15 other jobs and make a $5 million capital investment.
• Low-cost power was approved for the village of Frankfort in Herkimer County on behalf of Tractor Supply Company. The company is investing more than $75 million to build a distribution center in Frankfort, creating more than 300 new jobs, as announced by Cuomo last year, his office said.
• The Kraft Heinz Foods company site in Lowville in Lewis County is getting a low-cost power allocation to support the retention of 75 jobs and the creation of 44 other jobs in conjunction with a $7.1 million capital investment.
State Sen. Joseph A. Griffo, R-47, Rome, who chairs the Senate’s Energy and Telecommunications Committee, said he is “especially happy for the benefits to industry in my district and the surrounding North Country community through the ReCharge NY and the Northern New York Power Proceeds awards.”
Griffo added the state “is blessed to have low-cost hydropower from both the Niagara and the St. Lawrence hydro-facilities and it is wonderful to see the fruits of this low-cost, clean, New York power put to good use for the benefit of our businesses and the families that they support.”
State officials say the power for the ReCharge NY program includes the state’s Niagara and St. Lawrence-Franklin Roosevelt power plants.
Cuomo said such state economic development programs “incentivize businesses to lay down roots and expand in New York State, creating jobs and bolstering the economy for all hardworking New Yorkers.”
MVCC to present Emmy Award winning actor ‘One Love: An Evening with John Leguizamo’ Sept. 29
4-H Youth Participate in Vernon Downs Track Tour
Fall planting class Tuesday
Sign-up for October Food $en$e
- 11:28am 09/18/18AREA CHURCH SERVICES
- 4:00pm 09/15/18Fall, football, and the armor of God
- 4:00pm 09/15/18Delta Lake Christian Music Fest Sept. 22
- 4:00pm 09/15/18Harvest Fair lunch Tuesday
- 4:00pm 09/15/18Bible study starts Sept. 19 in Rome
- 4:00pm 09/15/18Community center hosts carnival
- 4:00pm 09/15/18Rummage, bake sales Thursday
- 4:00pm 09/15/18Brunch Thursday in Canastota
- 4:00pm 09/15/18Music and ministry program Sept. 29
- 4:00pm 09/15/18Franciscans host discussion group