Adirondack Scenic Railroad launches rail bike excursions
The Adirondack Scenic Railroad announces delivery of its first order of rail bikes to be put in service in Thendara.
The prototype has been in testing for eight weeks and has been built to a specific design under the supervision of Adirondack Scenic Executive Director, Jack Roberson. The rail bikes are built in the United States, in Utica. Official kick-off is expected at Thendara Station Saturday, Aug. 25. Initial excursions will be a 6-mile ride to Carter Station and return to Thendara. Riders will shuttle back and forth as part of the excursion between Thendara and Carter on board an ASR passenger coach and locomotive.
Introduction of rail bike service in Saranac Lake is expected in the near future.
Rail bike service in Saranac Lake was terminated following the 2016 season as a result of New York State’s determination that the rail line should be closed. Approximately 22,000 riders participated in the 2016 season there and, in conjunction with rail service, delivered some 35,000 tourists to the Village of Saranac Lake.
The State’s action was challenged by the Railroad, and in September, 2017, Supreme Court Justice Robert Main, Jr. handed up a decision which vacated and annulled the State’s proposal, reverting the operation of the rail corridor to the 1996 Unit Management Plan which preserves rail activity on the entire corridor to Lake Placid.
“The ASR looks forward to resuming this tourist attraction which became a destination in itself for thousands of visitors to the State”, said Bill Branson, President of the Board of Directors of the Adirondack Railway Preservation Society.
Celebrating 50 years
Center offers trip to Lake George
Ladies club gathers Friday
- 4:00pm 09/22/18Understanding salvation is fundamental to spiritual growth
- 4:00pm 09/22/18Grace Union marks 129th anniversary
- 4:00pm 09/22/18Church to host Harvest Dinner
- 4:00pm 09/22/18Dinner, dancing in Westmoreland
- 4:00pm 09/22/18Retreat House offers First Friday Day of Prayer
- 11:28am 09/18/18AREA CHURCH SERVICES
- 4:00pm 09/15/18Fall, football, and the armor of God
- 4:00pm 09/15/18Delta Lake Christian Music Fest Sept. 22
- 4:00pm 09/15/18Harvest Fair lunch Tuesday
- 4:00pm 09/15/18Bible study starts Sept. 19 in Rome