Councilman to host eighth annual holiday party in Verona

Published Dec 6, 2017 at 4:00pm

VERONA — Councilman Fred “Fritz” Scherz Jr. will hold his eighth annual Holiday Party for all Town of Verona residents 1-3 p.m. on Sunday, at the Verona Fire Hall, 5555 Volunteer Ave.

A mini parade will start at 12:30 from the fire hall, going through Virdon Village via Merry Street, east on Route 31 to Main Street past J. D. George Elementary School and onto Volunteer Avenue back to the hall. Line the parade route to wave to the law enforcement personnel and firefighters who serve the town. Santa Claus will also make his way to the event.

“The last seven years I’ve held this community event, it’s been a success because of all the children and adults that attended, as well as the volunteers, businesses, and media that helped,” said Scherz.

“Although I’m not finished finalizing the complete fun-filled lineup of activities and guests, as with prior years I plan on having kid-oriented activities, including arts and crafts. There’ll be some fantastic musicians as well as story-telling by some special guests, too. Family-oriented fun will continue to be part of this holiday event,” he added.

“Hopefully, Santa Claus will take time out of his busy schedule to attend,” Scherz said, adding that “I also want people to know that as with the last seven years I’ve held this event, no town funds are being used for it whatsoever as this is not a government-based event. I encourage all residents of Verona, no matter what their age is, to stop by and take part in the festivities.”

The party for all town residents has free admission and snacks will also be available. If able, attendees are asked to bring a canned good, as a collection will be taken and given to the Verona Food Pantry.

For more details, go to www.fritzscherz.com or contact fritz@fritzscherz.com or 315-363-3509.