INDUSTRY HONOR — Microdrones, an unmanned aerial systems company whose U.S.operation is in Rome, received honors for Best Manufacturer when the E.U. Drone Awards were announced in Brussels, Belgium, last month. There are six employees at the Griffiss International Airport location.
Microdrones soars to earn industry honors
Microdrones, a German unmanned aerial systems company whose U.S. headquarters is at Grifffiss International Airport, received the E.U. Drone Award for Best Manufacturer at the European Parliament in Brussels last month.
Hosted by the European Young Innovators Forum, the E.U. Drone Awards were created to recognize companies for their contributions in the unmanned aerial vehicle industry.
Out of 50 candidates from 14 countries that were nominated, nine finalists were selected in three categories: Best Drone Manufacturer, Best Drone-based Application and Best Emerging Drone Company.
“We are very proud and honored to receive this award,” said Mirjam Braas, Microdrones marketing manager for Europe. “The entire Microdrones team is extremely dedicated and hard-working and we appreciate the recognition.”
Founded in Germany in 2005, Microdrones developed the world’s first commercial quadcopter. It has operations in Siegen, Germany, Vaudreuil, Canada, and Rome.
“We’re proud to be working in Central New York’s drone corridor and contributing to its success,” said Sara Furlong, Microdrones’ Griffiss-based content marketing manager. “All of us being from CNY, the Rome team is happy to play a role in establishing this area as a tech hub for UAV companies – and hopefully spur further economic development.”
There are six employees in the Rome operation that’s located in a hangar at the airport. Additional hires are anticipated this year
In 2016, Microdrones merged with Avyon, a North American unmanned aerial vehicle solutions provider that brought the Microdrones brand to North America three years ago. The Griffiss location was opened by Avyon several years ago and operated as Pro Drones, USA, LLC.
When Microdrones set up shop for a Griffiss, the move was seen in the drone industry as one of many signs that the U.S. commercial market for unmanned aerial vehicle services and opportunities is taking off.
Goat Yoga is baaaaack at Fort Rickey
Radiation Oncologist Michael Fallon joins staff at RMH Radiation Medicine
Physical therapy professor honored
Sign-up for Kundalini Yoga & Meditation at View
- 4:00pm 07/17/18Goat Yoga is baaaaack at Fort Rickey
- 4:00pm 07/17/18Coupons for seniors offered Friday at Farmer’s Market
- 4:00pm 07/17/18New York Mills school reunion slated for Aug. 4
- 4:00pm 07/17/18Sign-up for wine trail trip
- 4:00pm 07/17/18Dorfman to host fundraiser dinner
- 4:00pm 07/17/18Ladies breakfast club meets July 27
- 4:00pm 07/16/18Radiation Oncologist Michael Fallon joins staff at RMH Radiation Medicine
- 4:00pm 07/16/18Physical therapy professor honored
- 4:00pm 07/16/18Sign-up for Kundalini Yoga & Meditation at View
- 4:00pm 07/16/18Improved care coordination services available for those with disabilities