INDUSTRY HONOR — Microdrones, an unmanned aerial systems company whose U.S.operation is in Rome, received honors for Best Manufacturer when the E.U. Drone Awards were announced in Brussels, Belgium, last month. There are six employees at the Griffiss International Airport location.
Microdrones soars to earn industry honors
Microdrones, a German unmanned aerial systems company whose U.S. headquarters is at Grifffiss International Airport, received the E.U. Drone Award for Best Manufacturer at the European Parliament in Brussels last month.
Hosted by the European Young Innovators Forum, the E.U. Drone Awards were created to recognize companies for their contributions in the unmanned aerial vehicle industry.
Out of 50 candidates from 14 countries that were nominated, nine finalists were selected in three categories: Best Drone Manufacturer, Best Drone-based Application and Best Emerging Drone Company.
“We are very proud and honored to receive this award,” said Mirjam Braas, Microdrones marketing manager for Europe. “The entire Microdrones team is extremely dedicated and hard-working and we appreciate the recognition.”
Founded in Germany in 2005, Microdrones developed the world’s first commercial quadcopter. It has operations in Siegen, Germany, Vaudreuil, Canada, and Rome.
“We’re proud to be working in Central New York’s drone corridor and contributing to its success,” said Sara Furlong, Microdrones’ Griffiss-based content marketing manager. “All of us being from CNY, the Rome team is happy to play a role in establishing this area as a tech hub for UAV companies – and hopefully spur further economic development.”
There are six employees in the Rome operation that’s located in a hangar at the airport. Additional hires are anticipated this year
In 2016, Microdrones merged with Avyon, a North American unmanned aerial vehicle solutions provider that brought the Microdrones brand to North America three years ago. The Griffiss location was opened by Avyon several years ago and operated as Pro Drones, USA, LLC.
When Microdrones set up shop for a Griffiss, the move was seen in the drone industry as one of many signs that the U.S. commercial market for unmanned aerial vehicle services and opportunities is taking off.
Animated Oscar nominee opens Friday Choice of subtitled or English showings
Movie depicts controversial marriage of African king
First Iranian Vampire Western Saturday
Trombonist, singer open ArtHouse series Saturday
- 4:00pm 03/24/17DEC advises homeowners: Avoid problems with bears and coyotes
- 4:00pm 03/24/17Homebuilders, remodelers expo April 1-2
- 4:00pm 03/24/17June 17 selected for 21st annual Herb and Flower Festival
- 4:00pm 03/23/17Turning Stone launches online gaming application
- 4:00pm 03/23/17Animated Oscar nominee opens Friday Choice of subtitled or English showings
- 4:00pm 03/23/17Movie depicts controversial marriage of African king
- 4:00pm 03/23/17First Iranian Vampire Western Saturday
- 4:00pm 03/23/17Trombonist, singer open ArtHouse series Saturday
- 4:00pm 03/23/17Documentary focuses on juvenile justice system
- 4:00pm 03/23/17Area happenings