American Apprenticeship Initiative to host breakfast
To celebrate National Apprenticeship Week, the American Apprenticeship Initiative is hosting a breakfast and panel discussion on Dec. 8 at Hotel Utica.
National Apprenticeship Week is an opportunity to highlight how apprenticeships are preparing workers for the jobs of today and the future, “and in central New York, the American Apprenticeship Initiative (AAI) grant is doing just that,” noted the Workforce Development Board of Herkimer, Madison and Oneida Counties, which administers the grant.
The grant is helping local manufacturers by offering funding to help educate and train people. Apprenticeships provide demand-driven education, allowing apprentices to earn while they learn, “helping to close the skills gap between the skills job creators seek and job seekers need,” the board stated.
Since the grant began in 2015, more than 40 companies in a 19-county region have taken advantage of this funding.
AAI teamed up with the Air Force Research Lab and the Griffiss Institute in Rome to create a first-of-its-kind apprenticeship program for New York State in information technology and cyber security.
AAI also created the Apprenticeship Accelerator Career Training program by teaming up with Onondaga Community College, Madison County and the Manufacturers Association of Central New York to offer an apprenticeship program in which 10 participants underwent intense training for several weeks in a mobile learning lab. Upon completion of the program, five area manufacturers agreed to hire the participants as machinists, tool makers and maintenance mechanics.
To learn more about the program and the Dec. 8 event, call 315-798-5008 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Capitol screens ‘All the Money in the World’
Gibson Brothers perform Jan. 26
‘Pushed Aside: Reclaiming Gage’ opera premiere Sunday
Library hosts poetry workshops Saturday
- 4:00pm 01/18/18Oneida County Health Department performs food service inspections
- 4:00pm 01/18/18Capitol screens ‘All the Money in the World’
- 4:00pm 01/18/18Gibson Brothers perform Jan. 26
- 4:00pm 01/18/18Bluegrass jam Saturday
- 4:00pm 01/18/18Ultimate Aldean concert Saturday
- 4:00pm 01/18/18Riggies, Greens and Rock Sunday
- 4:00pm 01/18/18Wine Tasting event aids Foothills programs
- 4:00pm 01/17/18‘Pushed Aside: Reclaiming Gage’ opera premiere Sunday
- 4:00pm 01/17/18Library hosts poetry workshops Saturday
- 4:00pm 01/17/18Pushing the Limits Book Club among Oneida library events