‘Waters of Adirondacks’ author in Jervis April 27
Jervis Public Library hosts author and former Rome resident Lorraine M. Duvall, who will present “Waters of the Adirondacks” on Thursday, April 27, at 6:30 p.m. in the library’s accessible auditorium.
This free program is open to the public.
Ms. Duvall, who worked at IIT Research Institute in Rome for 15 years, retired to the Adirondacks in 1999. She will outline how the waters of the Adirondacks were protected from such threats as industrial pollution, impoundments that would have resulted in the flooding of towns and thousands of acres, and housing developments.
She will also describe how she found her own sense-of-place while paddling her solo canoe on dozens of Adirondack lakes, ponds, and rivers for more than 25 years, finding her life enriched by studying this history of the recovery of the Adirondacks’ lands and waters.
Her stories are often about six older women who were empowered by tackling a hurricane on Little Tupper Lake. Twelve years later, they continue to paddle together in a group whose oldest member is 92. She will also share her reflections on the classification and use of the Boreas Ponds Tract purchased by New York State in the fall of 2016.
Ms. Duvall will have copies of her latest book, “In Praise of Quiet Waters,” for sale. Refreshments will be available.
For more information on this and other library programs, click on “Google Calendar” at the library’s website, www.jervislibrary.org.
‘Pushed Aside: Reclaiming Gage’ opera premiere Sunday
Library hosts poetry workshops Saturday
Pushing the Limits Book Club among Oneida library events
Exhibit and Artist Talk Saturday
- 4:00pm 01/17/18‘Pushed Aside: Reclaiming Gage’ opera premiere Sunday
- 4:00pm 01/17/18Library hosts poetry workshops Saturday
- 4:00pm 01/17/18Pushing the Limits Book Club among Oneida library events
- 4:00pm 01/17/18Exhibit and Artist Talk Saturday
- 4:00pm 01/17/18Preschool Story Hour in Remsen
- 4:00pm 01/17/18Talk on Puccini’s ‘Tosca’ Jan. 25
- 10:30am 01/17/18Dolly Parton talk canceled
- 4:00pm 01/10/18Winter focus of library exhibit
- 4:00pm 01/10/18Dolly Parton focus of talk Wednesday
- 4:00pm 01/10/18View announces thrown wheel pottery workshop