‘Waters of Adirondacks’ author in Jervis April 27
Jervis Public Library hosts author and former Rome resident Lorraine M. Duvall, who will present “Waters of the Adirondacks” on Thursday, April 27, at 6:30 p.m. in the library’s accessible auditorium.
This free program is open to the public.
Ms. Duvall, who worked at IIT Research Institute in Rome for 15 years, retired to the Adirondacks in 1999. She will outline how the waters of the Adirondacks were protected from such threats as industrial pollution, impoundments that would have resulted in the flooding of towns and thousands of acres, and housing developments.
She will also describe how she found her own sense-of-place while paddling her solo canoe on dozens of Adirondack lakes, ponds, and rivers for more than 25 years, finding her life enriched by studying this history of the recovery of the Adirondacks’ lands and waters.
Her stories are often about six older women who were empowered by tackling a hurricane on Little Tupper Lake. Twelve years later, they continue to paddle together in a group whose oldest member is 92. She will also share her reflections on the classification and use of the Boreas Ponds Tract purchased by New York State in the fall of 2016.
Ms. Duvall will have copies of her latest book, “In Praise of Quiet Waters,” for sale. Refreshments will be available.
For more information on this and other library programs, click on “Google Calendar” at the library’s website, www.jervislibrary.org.
Summer Showcase auditions June 26, 27 at Players of Utica
Yoga for seniors, blood drive at Oneida library
RACC offers basketry classes
Croghan marks Ancestor Day
- 4:00pm 06/22/17Summer Showcase auditions June 26, 27 at Players of Utica
- 4:00pm 06/21/17Yoga for seniors, blood drive at Oneida library
- 4:00pm 06/21/17RACC offers basketry classes
- 4:00pm 06/21/17Croghan marks Ancestor Day
- 4:00pm 06/21/17Martha Deming, Barbara Kellogg exhibits open at View
- 4:00pm 06/21/17Jervis library book series explores history of Erie Canal
- 4:00pm 06/21/17Artist talk Saturday
- 4:00pm 06/21/17Battle of Oriskany event in Herkimer
- 4:00pm 06/17/17Genealogical Society to meet Tuesday
- 4:00pm 06/17/17Show and Tell at History Club