View names new director of visual arts and exhibitions
OLD FORGE — View, the multi-arts center, has announced its new director of visual arts and exhibitions, John Gardner.
A native of Central New York, Gardner joins View after serving as the gallery director and assistant professor at Peru State University in Nebraska. He has also taught environmental art, drawing and art history at Utica College; has served as exhibitions coordinator at Light Work Gallery for Syracuse University; and has served as executive director of the Kirkland Art Center.
Gardner holds a master’s in sculpture from the University of Oregon. He is also a graduate of SUNY Potsdam, earning a bachelor’s in sculpture and minor in wilderness education. Gardner is an artist in his own right, having received awards for his work in Canada, Vermont, New Hampshire, New York, and locally at events in Utica and Potsdam. He has also written New York State Council on the Arts grants and understands the non-profit business model.
As director of visual arts and exhibitions,” he said, “The position will provide me the opportunity to focus on creating exceptional gallery experiences with outstanding artists.”
View Executive Director Jeff Grimshaw said, “We conducted an extensive national search for this position, and are very happy to find a person of John’s caliber, who understands the needs of our gallery and an understanding of the Adirondacks. I look forward to the high quality John brings to View.”
Gardner is married and has two children.
View is located at 3273 Route 28.
Adirondack Storytelling Festival Sunday
‘Wilderness Songs’ exhibit opens Saturday in Old Forge
Historian presents ‘The Fulton Chain’ book Tuesday
New repair shop activity opens at Utica Children’s Museum
- 4:00pm 07/18/18Adirondack Storytelling Festival Sunday
- 4:00pm 07/18/18‘Wilderness Songs’ exhibit opens Saturday in Old Forge
- 4:00pm 07/18/18Historian presents ‘The Fulton Chain’ book Tuesday
- 4:00pm 07/18/18New repair shop activity opens at Utica Children’s Museum
- 4:00pm 07/18/18Kirkland Art Center offers camp, classes for kids
- 4:00pm 07/18/18Children’s reading, illustration seminar Thursday with Doug Salati at Oneida library
- 4:00pm 07/18/18Writing, publishing and marketing seminar Friday in Old Forge
- 4:00pm 07/18/18Historical Society meets July 24
- 4:00pm 07/18/18Authors Fair Friday in Old Forge
- 4:00pm 07/18/18Basket-making workshop Monday