View names new director of visual arts and exhibitions
OLD FORGE — View, the multi-arts center, has announced its new director of visual arts and exhibitions, John Gardner.
A native of Central New York, Gardner joins View after serving as the gallery director and assistant professor at Peru State University in Nebraska. He has also taught environmental art, drawing and art history at Utica College; has served as exhibitions coordinator at Light Work Gallery for Syracuse University; and has served as executive director of the Kirkland Art Center.
Gardner holds a master’s in sculpture from the University of Oregon. He is also a graduate of SUNY Potsdam, earning a bachelor’s in sculpture and minor in wilderness education. Gardner is an artist in his own right, having received awards for his work in Canada, Vermont, New Hampshire, New York, and locally at events in Utica and Potsdam. He has also written New York State Council on the Arts grants and understands the non-profit business model.
As director of visual arts and exhibitions,” he said, “The position will provide me the opportunity to focus on creating exceptional gallery experiences with outstanding artists.”
View Executive Director Jeff Grimshaw said, “We conducted an extensive national search for this position, and are very happy to find a person of John’s caliber, who understands the needs of our gallery and an understanding of the Adirondacks. I look forward to the high quality John brings to View.”
Gardner is married and has two children.
View is located at 3273 Route 28.
‘Pushed Aside: Reclaiming Gage’ opera premiere Sunday
Library hosts poetry workshops Saturday
Pushing the Limits Book Club among Oneida library events
Exhibit and Artist Talk Saturday
- 4:00pm 01/17/18‘Pushed Aside: Reclaiming Gage’ opera premiere Sunday
- 4:00pm 01/17/18Library hosts poetry workshops Saturday
- 4:00pm 01/17/18Pushing the Limits Book Club among Oneida library events
- 4:00pm 01/17/18Exhibit and Artist Talk Saturday
- 4:00pm 01/17/18Preschool Story Hour in Remsen
- 4:00pm 01/17/18Talk on Puccini’s ‘Tosca’ Jan. 25
- 10:30am 01/17/18Dolly Parton talk canceled
- 4:00pm 01/10/18Winter focus of library exhibit
- 4:00pm 01/10/18Dolly Parton focus of talk Wednesday
- 4:00pm 01/10/18View announces thrown wheel pottery workshop