“Snow City at Dawn” by Kathryn Vajda (Photo submitted)
Three-day snow art event at View
OLD FORGE — For three days starting Thursday, artist Kathryn Vajda will create a Snow City on the grounds of View, the multi-media arts center at 3273 Route 28. The effort is in preparation for her forthcoming exhibition of digital prints at View next winter.
You’re invited to bring the family for a day of fun. View will be offering free coffee, tea and hot chocolate to spectators. There will be an area designated for children and adults to create and play in the snow, and View galleries will be free and open to the public during the activities.
Watch and engage with Vajda as she constructs, documents and photographs her temporary sculptural work using snow, ice and water. The Snow City at View is part of an ongoing series of photographic work that references child’s play, as well as the fragility and inherent nature of constant change within the world.
At 2 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 18, immediately following View’s 11th annual Chili Bowl starting at 11:30 a.m., Vajda will present a lecture and discussion on her work. This presentation is free and open to the public. For more information on the chili bowl, visit View’s website at ViewArts.org or call 315-369-6411.
Vajda was born in Pittsburgh, Pa. She received her bachelor’s degree in printmaking from the Cleveland Institute of Art and her master’s in printmaking from Indiana University in Bloomington.
Snow Cities have been featured in exhibitions at INDIGO Art in Buffalo, and in the Fosdick-Nelson Gallery at Alfred University. Her work has been exhibited both nationally and internationally. Vajda is an adjunct assistant professor in the School of Art and Design at the New York State College of Ceramics at Alfred University. For more information on Vajda, visit her website KathrynVajda.com.
Rising Stars classes start Saturday
Four shows on exhibit at art center
View seeks assistant art teacher
Railway Historical Society lists season’s events
- 4:00pm 03/22/17Rising Stars classes start Saturday
- 4:00pm 03/22/17Four shows on exhibit at art center
- 4:00pm 03/22/17View seeks assistant art teacher
- 4:00pm 03/22/17Railway Historical Society lists season’s events
- 4:00pm 03/22/17Women’s suffrage program among events in Oneida Library
- 4:00pm 03/22/17Author discusses book on women’s suffrage
- 4:00pm 03/22/17Exhibitions showcase young and established
- 4:00pm 03/22/17Slate roofing workshop April 8
- 4:00pm 03/18/17Acting workshop Sunday in Rome Community Theater
- 4:00pm 03/18/17Religious struggle in poems topic