Pair of new exhibits to open on Thursday at Oneida County History Center
Two new exhibits open at the Oneida County History Center on Thursday, with an opening reception 5-7 p.m. This event is free and open to the public
“World War I Centennial: Oneida County and New York in the Great War” commemorates the 100th anniversary of the United States’ entry into the first World War by focusing on the American experience and local history of the war.
The exhibit uses original documents, artifacts and posters to explore topics such as New York’s efforts to fund the war and conserve resources, technological innovation and its impacts, women in the war and individual Utican’s experiences during the conflict. “World War I Centennial” was created by Jolene Patrina of West Simsbury, Conn., a rising senior at Colgate University. As a history major and anthropology minor, she is interested in pursuing a career in museum work to further explore and engage in history.
“Downtown at its Best” invites you to relive memories of downtown Utica featuring history and memorabilia from department stores, restaurants and theaters that were once a staple of downtown. The Boston Store, J.B. Wells, the Olympic Theatre and Kewpee are just a few of the businesses featured. This exhibit was created by Whitesboro High School juniors Emily Depietro and Derek Smith. Both students volunteered their time to research and design this exhibit. “Downtown at its Best” was created to evoke the memories that downtown Utica created for some many people over the years and to inspire new generations to discover local history.
The opening reception takes place in the center’s main gallery.
The Oneida County History Center, formerly the Oneida County Historical Society, is a private not-for-profit educational institution.
Contact the center at 315-735-3642 or visit www.oneidacountyhistory.org for additional information.
View hosts Bread Basket Workshop Tuesday
Dodge Pratt Northam center hosts 34th annual Art & Craft Fair in Boonville
Arts at the Palace hosts Dar Williams Aug. 25
History Club of New York Mills meets Monday
- 4:00pm 08/15/18View hosts Bread Basket Workshop Tuesday
- 4:00pm 08/15/18Dodge Pratt Northam center hosts 34th annual Art & Craft Fair in Boonville
- 4:00pm 08/15/18Arts at the Palace hosts Dar Williams Aug. 25
- 4:00pm 08/15/18History Club of New York Mills meets Monday
- 4:00pm 08/15/18Jervis offers online genealogy workshop Aug. 27
- 4:00pm 08/15/18Steuben Old Home Days slated for Aug. 25
- 4:00pm 08/08/18Felting workshop Aug. 18 at View
- 4:00pm 08/08/18McGhee to give book presentation at Old Forge Library
- 4:00pm 08/08/18Town of Western Historical Society to hold monthly meeting Thursday
- 4:00pm 08/08/18Historic walking tour in Leonardsville