Old Forge library hosts storyteller Fran Yardley
OLD FORGE — Author Fran Yardley will give a presentation on her newly released book, “Finding True North: A History of One Small Corner of the Adirondacks,” at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 17 at Old Forge Library, 220 Crosby Blvd.
Yardley is a writer, actor, and nationally known storyteller and workshop leader.
In 1968, Fran and Jay Yardley, a young couple with pioneering spirit, moved to a remote corner of the Adirondacks to revive the long-abandoned, but historic Bartlett Carry Club, with its 1,000 acres and 37 buildings.
The Saranac Lake-area property had been in Jay’s family for generations, and his dream was to restore this summer resort to support himself and, eventually, a growing family. In her book, “Finding True North,” Yardley chronicles their journey and unearths the history of those who came before, from the 1800s to the present. Offering an evocative glimpse into the past, she traces the challenges and transformations of one of the world’s most beautiful, least-celebrated places and the people who were tirelessly devoted to it.
In 1999 she co-founded Creative Healing Connections, a non-profit organization offering retreats for female veterans and women with cancer and chronic illness.
Originally from Buffalo, she is rooted into the shores of Middle Saranac Lake, where she lives with her actor/photographer husband, Burdette Parks, and her dog, Merlin.
Books will be available for purchase and author signing. Fran’s presentation is funded by the Friends of the Library Adirondack Series and NYSCA: the Literature Program with support from Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo and the state Legislature.
Adirondack Storytelling Festival Sunday
‘Wilderness Songs’ exhibit opens Saturday in Old Forge
Historian presents ‘The Fulton Chain’ book Tuesday
New repair shop activity opens at Utica Children’s Museum
- 4:00pm 07/18/18Adirondack Storytelling Festival Sunday
- 4:00pm 07/18/18‘Wilderness Songs’ exhibit opens Saturday in Old Forge
- 4:00pm 07/18/18Historian presents ‘The Fulton Chain’ book Tuesday
- 4:00pm 07/18/18New repair shop activity opens at Utica Children’s Museum
- 4:00pm 07/18/18Kirkland Art Center offers camp, classes for kids
- 4:00pm 07/18/18Children’s reading, illustration seminar Thursday with Doug Salati at Oneida library
- 4:00pm 07/18/18Writing, publishing and marketing seminar Friday in Old Forge
- 4:00pm 07/18/18Historical Society meets July 24
- 4:00pm 07/18/18Authors Fair Friday in Old Forge
- 4:00pm 07/18/18Basket-making workshop Monday