History Center hosts lecture on Second Great Awakening
Dr. Peter D. Van Cleave will present the program “A Nest of Vipers & A Den of Devils: Antirevivalists and Religious Liberty in the Burned Over District” at 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, June 14, at the Oneida County History Center on Genesee Street, Utica.
Oneida County’s significance during the Second Great Awakening as the “burned-over district” will be the subject. However, the presenter noted, many histories of this period and place often only consider those revivalists who welcomed evangelicalism, and have neglected those who opposed the revivals with equal fervor. Antirevivalists, whose myriad religious beliefs earned them colorful insults and even threats from revivalists, accused evangelicals of violating their fundamental right to religious freedom. Join Dr. Van Cleave to examine the arguments made by antirevivalists and the complex debate over religious liberty that emerged in the burned-over district during the 1820s.
Van Cleave is a lecturer of history in the School of Historical, Philosophical, and Religious Studies at Arizona State University. His research interests include the Dutch-American Atlantic World in the Age of Revolutions, the political and religious history of the Early American Republic, and religious tolerance and intolerance in the Revolutionary Era.
This program takes place in the center’s main gallery. Admission is free.
The Oneida County History Center, formerly the Oneida County Historical Society, is a not-for-profit educational institution. Contact the center at 315-735-3642 or visit www.oneidacountyhistory.org or Facebook for additional information.
Tractor safety course scheduled
Welsh churches focus of Western Historical Society event tonight
Collins performs his play on bullying Oct. 13
October events at OPL include play, acrylic painting and spooky lock in
- 4:00pm 10/16/18Tractor safety course scheduled
- 4:00pm 10/11/18Welsh churches focus of Western Historical Society event tonight
- 4:00pm 10/10/18Collins performs his play on bullying Oct. 13
- 4:00pm 10/10/18October events at OPL include play, acrylic painting and spooky lock in
- 4:00pm 10/10/18Fiber arts guild meets Oct. 18
- 4:00pm 10/10/18Model Railroad Show in Remsen
- 4:00pm 10/10/18Beethoven tribute concerts planned
- 4:00pm 10/10/18View offers Raku class Oct. 20, 21
- 4:00pm 10/10/18Museum offers 19th century heritage dinner Oct. 20
- 4:00pm 10/10/18Tech help offered at Jervis Public Library in October