History Center hosts lecture on Second Great Awakening
Dr. Peter D. Van Cleave will present the program “A Nest of Vipers & A Den of Devils: Antirevivalists and Religious Liberty in the Burned Over District” at 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, June 14, at the Oneida County History Center on Genesee Street, Utica.
Oneida County’s significance during the Second Great Awakening as the “burned-over district” will be the subject. However, the presenter noted, many histories of this period and place often only consider those revivalists who welcomed evangelicalism, and have neglected those who opposed the revivals with equal fervor. Antirevivalists, whose myriad religious beliefs earned them colorful insults and even threats from revivalists, accused evangelicals of violating their fundamental right to religious freedom. Join Dr. Van Cleave to examine the arguments made by antirevivalists and the complex debate over religious liberty that emerged in the burned-over district during the 1820s.
Van Cleave is a lecturer of history in the School of Historical, Philosophical, and Religious Studies at Arizona State University. His research interests include the Dutch-American Atlantic World in the Age of Revolutions, the political and religious history of the Early American Republic, and religious tolerance and intolerance in the Revolutionary Era.
This program takes place in the center’s main gallery. Admission is free.
The Oneida County History Center, formerly the Oneida County Historical Society, is a not-for-profit educational institution. Contact the center at 315-735-3642 or visit www.oneidacountyhistory.org or Facebook for additional information.
View hosts Bread Basket Workshop Tuesday
Dodge Pratt Northam center hosts 34th annual Art & Craft Fair in Boonville
Arts at the Palace hosts Dar Williams Aug. 25
History Club of New York Mills meets Monday
- 4:00pm 08/15/18View hosts Bread Basket Workshop Tuesday
- 4:00pm 08/15/18Dodge Pratt Northam center hosts 34th annual Art & Craft Fair in Boonville
- 4:00pm 08/15/18Arts at the Palace hosts Dar Williams Aug. 25
- 4:00pm 08/15/18History Club of New York Mills meets Monday
- 4:00pm 08/15/18Jervis offers online genealogy workshop Aug. 27
- 4:00pm 08/15/18Steuben Old Home Days slated for Aug. 25
- 4:00pm 08/08/18Felting workshop Aug. 18 at View
- 4:00pm 08/08/18McGhee to give book presentation at Old Forge Library
- 4:00pm 08/08/18Town of Western Historical Society to hold monthly meeting Thursday
- 4:00pm 08/08/18Historic walking tour in Leonardsville