Exhibit marks 200th anniversary of Historic Zoar Village
The Oneida Community Mansion House, 170 Kenwood Ave., Oneida, is hosting a temporary exhibit commemorating the 200th anniversary of the Historic Zoar Village in Ohio through Jan. 7.
Admission is $7, $3 for students and free for members. Call 315-363-0745 or visit www.oneidacommunity for more information.
OCMH is open for visitors Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m.- 5 p.m., and Sunday from noon-5 p.m. Guided tours are provided Wednesday through Saturday at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., and Sunday at 2 p.m.
“Like many utopian communities of the 19th century, Zoar was founded by religious separatists fleeing persecution in their home countries throughout Europe,” orgainizers said.
“The German Separatists who founded Zoar fled their homeland of Württemberg and, in 1817, arrived on the banks of the Tuscarawas River in northeastern Ohio to build a communal settlement that would last until 1898.
“The Separatists thrived on agriculture but also applied their work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit to other endeavors, such as helping to construct a portion of the Ohio and Erie Canal, creating a ‘Zoar-style’ of furniture for export, and building a popular tourist destination for weekenders in the mid-1800s.”
In addition to highlighting these and other aspects of Zoar life, the exhibit includes a three- dimensional replica of the Zoar Garden – a 2.4-acre, scripture-inspired meditative space that remains the centerpiece of the village today. Zoar artifacts including furniture, tools, pottery and art will also be on display.
Local author at Fusion Saturday
Gallery hosts Christmas showcase
Herkimer County Historical Society’s holiday sale starts Friday
Ballet classes start Dec. 2
- 4:00pm 11/22/17Local author at Fusion Saturday
- 4:00pm 11/22/17Gallery hosts Christmas showcase
- 4:00pm 11/22/17Herkimer County Historical Society’s holiday sale starts Friday
- 4:00pm 11/22/17Ballet classes start Dec. 2
- 4:00pm 11/22/17Tickets on sale for Ladies Night at View
- 4:00pm 11/22/17‘Musical Theater’ concert Tuesday at MVCC Utica
- 4:00pm 11/22/17Christmas in the Country event Saturday
- 4:00pm 11/22/17Clinton Historical Society offers open house
- 4:00pm 11/22/17Rock painting, yoga at Oneida library next week
- 4:00pm 11/22/17Homeschool art classes at View