Exhibit marks 200th anniversary of Historic Zoar Village
The Oneida Community Mansion House, 170 Kenwood Ave., Oneida, is hosting a temporary exhibit commemorating the 200th anniversary of the Historic Zoar Village in Ohio through Jan. 7.
Admission is $7, $3 for students and free for members. Call 315-363-0745 or visit www.oneidacommunity for more information.
OCMH is open for visitors Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m.- 5 p.m., and Sunday from noon-5 p.m. Guided tours are provided Wednesday through Saturday at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., and Sunday at 2 p.m.
“Like many utopian communities of the 19th century, Zoar was founded by religious separatists fleeing persecution in their home countries throughout Europe,” orgainizers said.
“The German Separatists who founded Zoar fled their homeland of Württemberg and, in 1817, arrived on the banks of the Tuscarawas River in northeastern Ohio to build a communal settlement that would last until 1898.
“The Separatists thrived on agriculture but also applied their work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit to other endeavors, such as helping to construct a portion of the Ohio and Erie Canal, creating a ‘Zoar-style’ of furniture for export, and building a popular tourist destination for weekenders in the mid-1800s.”
In addition to highlighting these and other aspects of Zoar life, the exhibit includes a three- dimensional replica of the Zoar Garden – a 2.4-acre, scripture-inspired meditative space that remains the centerpiece of the village today. Zoar artifacts including furniture, tools, pottery and art will also be on display.
12th annual Chili Bowl Luncheon Saturday in Old Forge
Drawing classes with Imundo start Feb. 20
Winter break events at Oneida library include Dinosaur Dig, crafts
History center offers book sale
- 4:00pm 02/14/1812th annual Chili Bowl Luncheon Saturday in Old Forge
- 4:00pm 02/14/18Drawing classes with Imundo start Feb. 20
- 4:00pm 02/14/18Winter break events at Oneida library include Dinosaur Dig, crafts
- 4:00pm 02/14/18History center offers book sale
- 4:00pm 02/14/18Park marks Douglass’ 200th birthday
- 4:00pm 02/14/18Two exhibits open in Hamilton
- 4:00pm 02/14/18Library hosts stargazing event
- 4:00pm 02/14/18Register for felting class by Feb. 23
- 4:00pm 02/07/18Clinton hockey history event Feb. 9
- 4:00pm 02/07/18Oneida library offers golf lesson, Valentine’s Day event