Colgate offers ‘Wait Till It Gets Dark’ children’s event Saturday
HAMILTON — Young readers can meet George Steele, an environmental educator and local author, for story time and to learn how to expand their senses with an activity and craft by Rogers Environmental Education Center at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, April 14, at the Colgate Bookstore.
It’s night. It’s dark. It’s time to go indoors. Or is it? The outdoors at night can be a scary place, but “Wait Till It Gets Dark” will help young readers investigate the mysterious nature of night. Years of teaching children in the outdoors has given the authors and environmental educators Anita Sanchez and George Steele firsthand experience in introducing students to the joys of nature at night.
They have led children on night walks in a variety of habitats, including urban settings. Based on these experiences, the book describes night-time landscapes and the nocturnal animals that inhabit them, from desert coyotes to the frog chorus in a backyard pond and a corner of the bathroom at midnight where a spider lurks.
Steele is an environmental educator working with schools, nature centers and museums throughout the Northeast.
The former director of the New York State Department. of Environmental Conservation’s Education Camp Program, he received the Conservation Educator Award from the state Conservation Council, and the state Outdoor Education Association’s Gold Award for Lifetime Achievement. He has a degree in forest biology from the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry.
Oneida Community Mansion House offers free admission Saturday
‘A People’s History of Utica’ Sept. 26
‘Books and Bordeaux’ event Friday
Glass art classes start this week at View
- 4:00pm 09/19/18Oneida Community Mansion House offers free admission Saturday
- 4:00pm 09/19/18‘A People’s History of Utica’ Sept. 26
- 4:00pm 09/19/18‘Books and Bordeaux’ event Friday
- 4:00pm 09/19/18Glass art classes start this week at View
- 4:00pm 09/19/18Poetry workshop Thursday
- 4:00pm 09/19/18Poetry reading, workshop Sept. 27
- 4:00pm 09/19/18Underground Railroad topic of lecture Sept. 26
- 4:00pm 09/19/18Historical society hosts author Sandra Salm
- 4:00pm 09/18/18Lecture at MVCC rescheduled
- 4:00pm 09/12/18Mount Vernon Glass Company topic of history center event