Colgate offers ‘Wait Till It Gets Dark’ children’s event Saturday
HAMILTON — Young readers can meet George Steele, an environmental educator and local author, for story time and to learn how to expand their senses with an activity and craft by Rogers Environmental Education Center at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, April 14, at the Colgate Bookstore.
It’s night. It’s dark. It’s time to go indoors. Or is it? The outdoors at night can be a scary place, but “Wait Till It Gets Dark” will help young readers investigate the mysterious nature of night. Years of teaching children in the outdoors has given the authors and environmental educators Anita Sanchez and George Steele firsthand experience in introducing students to the joys of nature at night.
They have led children on night walks in a variety of habitats, including urban settings. Based on these experiences, the book describes night-time landscapes and the nocturnal animals that inhabit them, from desert coyotes to the frog chorus in a backyard pond and a corner of the bathroom at midnight where a spider lurks.
Steele is an environmental educator working with schools, nature centers and museums throughout the Northeast.
The former director of the New York State Department. of Environmental Conservation’s Education Camp Program, he received the Conservation Educator Award from the state Conservation Council, and the state Outdoor Education Association’s Gold Award for Lifetime Achievement. He has a degree in forest biology from the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry.
Posthumous RACC exhibit honors Marilyn Schlueter
Duo performs Civil War themed concert
Artwork created live at ‘The JAM’ sculpture event Saturday at SUNY Poly
Paint & Sip Friday at Unity Hall
- 4:00pm 04/18/18Posthumous RACC exhibit honors Marilyn Schlueter
- 4:00pm 04/18/18Duo performs Civil War themed concert
- 4:00pm 04/18/18Artwork created live at ‘The JAM’ sculpture event Saturday at SUNY Poly
- 4:00pm 04/18/18Paint & Sip Friday at Unity Hall
- 4:00pm 04/18/18Black River Canal Museum hosts ‘Era of Navigation’
- 4:00pm 04/18/18Encaustic painting workshop April 28-29 at View
- 4:00pm 04/18/18Jervis offers Online Genealogy help session Monday
- 4:00pm 04/18/18Zoomobile visits Remsen library Monday
- 4:00pm 04/18/18MWPAI screens ‘Eve and the Fire Horse’
- 4:00pm 04/18/18Screen-Free Week events at Pulaski Historical Society