Colgate offers ‘Wait Till It Gets Dark’ children’s event Saturday
HAMILTON — Young readers can meet George Steele, an environmental educator and local author, for story time and to learn how to expand their senses with an activity and craft by Rogers Environmental Education Center at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, April 14, at the Colgate Bookstore.
It’s night. It’s dark. It’s time to go indoors. Or is it? The outdoors at night can be a scary place, but “Wait Till It Gets Dark” will help young readers investigate the mysterious nature of night. Years of teaching children in the outdoors has given the authors and environmental educators Anita Sanchez and George Steele firsthand experience in introducing students to the joys of nature at night.
They have led children on night walks in a variety of habitats, including urban settings. Based on these experiences, the book describes night-time landscapes and the nocturnal animals that inhabit them, from desert coyotes to the frog chorus in a backyard pond and a corner of the bathroom at midnight where a spider lurks.
Steele is an environmental educator working with schools, nature centers and museums throughout the Northeast.
The former director of the New York State Department. of Environmental Conservation’s Education Camp Program, he received the Conservation Educator Award from the state Conservation Council, and the state Outdoor Education Association’s Gold Award for Lifetime Achievement. He has a degree in forest biology from the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry.
Ukrainian moth may provide hope against monarch-killing vine
Teen summer program at Jervis includes workshops, clubs, games
Croquet Wednesdays at Sherrill library
Sign up for Living Lamp workshop at View
- 4:00pm 07/11/18Ukrainian moth may provide hope against monarch-killing vine
- 4:00pm 07/11/18Teen summer program at Jervis includes workshops, clubs, games
- 4:00pm 07/11/18Croquet Wednesdays at Sherrill library
- 4:00pm 07/11/18Sign up for Living Lamp workshop at View
- 4:00pm 07/11/18View seeks artists for nature exhibit
- 4:00pm 07/11/18Jervis Public Library announces tech help sessions for July
- 4:00pm 07/11/18Historic society hosts author Anthony Wonderley
- 4:00pm 07/11/18Presentation on butterflies, moths Saturday in Canastota
- 4:00pm 07/11/18Merry-Go-Round theater troupe performs Friday
- 4:00pm 07/11/18Northeast National Pastel Exhibition awards announced