Brown University professor to give Constitution Day talk in Clinton Monday
CLINTON — Melvin Rogers, a political science professor at Brown University, will deliver the Constitution Day lecture at Hamilton College on Monday, Sept. 18, at 7:30 p.m., in the Red Pit, Kirner-Johnson Building.
The lecture, titled “Democratic Faith: Thomas Jefferson, the People, and Early Black Politics,” is free and open to the public.
Rogers works broadly in the areas of political philosophy and the history of American and African American political thought. His research is driven by a set of connected concerns: the value of John Dewey’s political philosophy for democratic life; the character necessary to sustain and nurture democracy, especially as derived from the African American political and moral philosophical tradition; and the ways this character directs our attention to those who have been historically excluded and dominated and helps explain their allegiance to American society amid political alienation.
Rogers is the author of “The Undiscovered Dewey: Religion, Morality, and the Ethos of Democracy” and a related editorial project, “John Dewey, The Public and Its Problems.” His new edited project is titled “Race and the Imagination in African American Political Thought.”
The lecture is sponsored by Hamilton’s Government Department.
Herkimer Home opens Saturday
View offers ceramics workshop June 2
Unity Hall hosts author Chuck D’Imperio May 30
Rome Art Association holds spring show in Old Forge
- 4:00pm 05/23/18Herkimer Home opens Saturday
- 4:00pm 05/23/18View offers ceramics workshop June 2
- 4:00pm 05/23/18Unity Hall hosts author Chuck D’Imperio May 30
- 4:00pm 05/23/18Rome Art Association holds spring show in Old Forge
- 4:00pm 05/22/18View offers Healing with Nature Workshop Wednesday
- 4:00pm 05/21/18Children’s Camp Lookout to hold Open House
- 4:00pm 05/16/18Two exhibits open at MWPAI
- 4:00pm 05/16/18MWPAI announces May events
- 4:00pm 05/16/18Jervis offers genealogy help session May 22
- 4:00pm 05/16/18Colgate hosts book signing with Chuck D’Imperio May 23