Baskets and Birdhouses opens Friday
OLD FORGE — “Baskets and Birdhouses” Art Exhibit, by mother and daughter artisans Barbara and Bernie Green, is on display in the Judith Lowenstein Cohen Memorial Wing of the Old Forge Library, 220 Crosby Blvd., through Feb. 18.
The public may attend the opening reception to be held from 5-7 p.m. Friday, Jan. 13.
The reception provides an opportunity to meet and talk with the artists, view their work and visit with other community members. Light refreshments will be served and acoustic music will be provided by guitarist Dan Vellone.
Both Barbara and Bernie Green are long-time Old Forge “locals” who are active in the community.
Barbara started weaving baskets in 2007 after participating in a workshop to make an Adirondack Pack Basket. She now leads workshops of her own.
“I am proud of my craft,” Barbara said. “Weaving gives me the ability to be creative, while creating something functional.”
She said she finds the craft challenging, but also relaxing. For more about Barbara and her business, Adirondack Green House Basketry, go to adirondackbasketry.com.
According to Bernie, her birdhouse pursuits, Kindle Wood Crafts, are “a hobby that started out of sheer boredom and piles of kindling wood scraps that were given to me for my always ‘hungry’ wood stove. As I sorted through the scraps, I decided that some were too nice to burn and my creative mind saw potential for log cabin birdhouses. After a few trials, I finally got the hang of it and kept going.”
Bernie said she hopes visitors will enjoy her “little homes” as much as she did creating them.
Posthumous RACC exhibit honors Marilyn Schlueter
Duo performs Civil War themed concert
Artwork created live at ‘The JAM’ sculpture event Saturday at SUNY Poly
Paint & Sip Friday at Unity Hall
- 4:00pm 04/18/18Posthumous RACC exhibit honors Marilyn Schlueter
- 4:00pm 04/18/18Duo performs Civil War themed concert
- 4:00pm 04/18/18Artwork created live at ‘The JAM’ sculpture event Saturday at SUNY Poly
- 4:00pm 04/18/18Paint & Sip Friday at Unity Hall
- 4:00pm 04/18/18Black River Canal Museum hosts ‘Era of Navigation’
- 4:00pm 04/18/18Encaustic painting workshop April 28-29 at View
- 4:00pm 04/18/18Jervis offers Online Genealogy help session Monday
- 4:00pm 04/18/18Zoomobile visits Remsen library Monday
- 4:00pm 04/18/18MWPAI screens ‘Eve and the Fire Horse’
- 4:00pm 04/18/18Screen-Free Week events at Pulaski Historical Society