Baskets and Birdhouses opens Friday
OLD FORGE — “Baskets and Birdhouses” Art Exhibit, by mother and daughter artisans Barbara and Bernie Green, is on display in the Judith Lowenstein Cohen Memorial Wing of the Old Forge Library, 220 Crosby Blvd., through Feb. 18.
The public may attend the opening reception to be held from 5-7 p.m. Friday, Jan. 13.
The reception provides an opportunity to meet and talk with the artists, view their work and visit with other community members. Light refreshments will be served and acoustic music will be provided by guitarist Dan Vellone.
Both Barbara and Bernie Green are long-time Old Forge “locals” who are active in the community.
Barbara started weaving baskets in 2007 after participating in a workshop to make an Adirondack Pack Basket. She now leads workshops of her own.
“I am proud of my craft,” Barbara said. “Weaving gives me the ability to be creative, while creating something functional.”
She said she finds the craft challenging, but also relaxing. For more about Barbara and her business, Adirondack Green House Basketry, go to adirondackbasketry.com.
According to Bernie, her birdhouse pursuits, Kindle Wood Crafts, are “a hobby that started out of sheer boredom and piles of kindling wood scraps that were given to me for my always ‘hungry’ wood stove. As I sorted through the scraps, I decided that some were too nice to burn and my creative mind saw potential for log cabin birdhouses. After a few trials, I finally got the hang of it and kept going.”
Bernie said she hopes visitors will enjoy her “little homes” as much as she did creating them.
Works in Progress reception Oct. 25
‘Hocus Pocus,’ Live Clue event at Jervis
Exhibit marks 200th anniversary of Historic Zoar Village
Oneida library hosts Escape the Library teen event, AARP driving course
- 4:00pm 10/18/17Works in Progress reception Oct. 25
- 4:00pm 10/18/17‘Hocus Pocus,’ Live Clue event at Jervis
- 4:00pm 10/18/17Exhibit marks 200th anniversary of Historic Zoar Village
- 4:00pm 10/18/17Oneida library hosts Escape the Library teen event, AARP driving course
- 4:00pm 10/18/17Mansion House marks International Archaelogy Day Saturday
- 4:00pm 10/18/17Fall events announced at Shawangunk Nature Preserve
- 4:00pm 10/18/17A Question of Survival presentation Tuesday at Old Forge Library
- 4:00pm 10/18/17Wreath making first ‘Parent and Me’ workshop Saturday at View
- 4:00pm 10/18/17Jervis offers Children’s Fall ‘Crafternoon’ event Saturday
- 4:00pm 10/11/17Western Historical Society meets Thursday