Baskets and Birdhouses opens Friday
OLD FORGE — “Baskets and Birdhouses” Art Exhibit, by mother and daughter artisans Barbara and Bernie Green, is on display in the Judith Lowenstein Cohen Memorial Wing of the Old Forge Library, 220 Crosby Blvd., through Feb. 18.
The public may attend the opening reception to be held from 5-7 p.m. Friday, Jan. 13.
The reception provides an opportunity to meet and talk with the artists, view their work and visit with other community members. Light refreshments will be served and acoustic music will be provided by guitarist Dan Vellone.
Both Barbara and Bernie Green are long-time Old Forge “locals” who are active in the community.
Barbara started weaving baskets in 2007 after participating in a workshop to make an Adirondack Pack Basket. She now leads workshops of her own.
“I am proud of my craft,” Barbara said. “Weaving gives me the ability to be creative, while creating something functional.”
She said she finds the craft challenging, but also relaxing. For more about Barbara and her business, Adirondack Green House Basketry, go to adirondackbasketry.com.
According to Bernie, her birdhouse pursuits, Kindle Wood Crafts, are “a hobby that started out of sheer boredom and piles of kindling wood scraps that were given to me for my always ‘hungry’ wood stove. As I sorted through the scraps, I decided that some were too nice to burn and my creative mind saw potential for log cabin birdhouses. After a few trials, I finally got the hang of it and kept going.”
Bernie said she hopes visitors will enjoy her “little homes” as much as she did creating them.
Horseshoe Forestry Co. topic Tuesday
Bracelets topic Thursday at Weavers group
Hyde Hall invites artists
Wreath, poetry workshops offered
- 4:00pm 04/22/17Horseshoe Forestry Co. topic Tuesday
- 4:00pm 04/19/17Bracelets topic Thursday at Weavers group
- 4:00pm 04/19/17Hyde Hall invites artists
- 4:00pm 04/19/17Wreath, poetry workshops offered
- 4:00pm 04/19/17Author discusses Navy Family book in library Thursday
- 4:00pm 04/19/17‘Waters of Adirondacks’ author in Jervis April 27
- 4:00pm 04/19/17Reproductive freedom talk Sunday
- 4:00pm 04/19/17Fish Fry Friday benefits library
- 4:00pm 04/19/17Dog program for youth ages 9-19 starts April 27
- 4:00pm 04/12/17April 20 reception opens art shows