Baskets and Birdhouses opens Friday
OLD FORGE — “Baskets and Birdhouses” Art Exhibit, by mother and daughter artisans Barbara and Bernie Green, is on display in the Judith Lowenstein Cohen Memorial Wing of the Old Forge Library, 220 Crosby Blvd., through Feb. 18.
The public may attend the opening reception to be held from 5-7 p.m. Friday, Jan. 13.
The reception provides an opportunity to meet and talk with the artists, view their work and visit with other community members. Light refreshments will be served and acoustic music will be provided by guitarist Dan Vellone.
Both Barbara and Bernie Green are long-time Old Forge “locals” who are active in the community.
Barbara started weaving baskets in 2007 after participating in a workshop to make an Adirondack Pack Basket. She now leads workshops of her own.
“I am proud of my craft,” Barbara said. “Weaving gives me the ability to be creative, while creating something functional.”
She said she finds the craft challenging, but also relaxing. For more about Barbara and her business, Adirondack Green House Basketry, go to adirondackbasketry.com.
According to Bernie, her birdhouse pursuits, Kindle Wood Crafts, are “a hobby that started out of sheer boredom and piles of kindling wood scraps that were given to me for my always ‘hungry’ wood stove. As I sorted through the scraps, I decided that some were too nice to burn and my creative mind saw potential for log cabin birdhouses. After a few trials, I finally got the hang of it and kept going.”
Bernie said she hopes visitors will enjoy her “little homes” as much as she did creating them.
12th annual Chili Bowl Luncheon Saturday in Old Forge
Drawing classes with Imundo start Feb. 20
Winter break events at Oneida library include Dinosaur Dig, crafts
History center offers book sale
- 4:00pm 02/14/1812th annual Chili Bowl Luncheon Saturday in Old Forge
- 4:00pm 02/14/18Drawing classes with Imundo start Feb. 20
- 4:00pm 02/14/18Winter break events at Oneida library include Dinosaur Dig, crafts
- 4:00pm 02/14/18History center offers book sale
- 4:00pm 02/14/18Park marks Douglass’ 200th birthday
- 4:00pm 02/14/18Two exhibits open in Hamilton
- 4:00pm 02/14/18Library hosts stargazing event
- 4:00pm 02/14/18Register for felting class by Feb. 23
- 4:00pm 02/07/18Clinton hockey history event Feb. 9
- 4:00pm 02/07/18Oneida library offers golf lesson, Valentine’s Day event