Baskets and Birdhouses opens Friday
OLD FORGE — “Baskets and Birdhouses” Art Exhibit, by mother and daughter artisans Barbara and Bernie Green, is on display in the Judith Lowenstein Cohen Memorial Wing of the Old Forge Library, 220 Crosby Blvd., through Feb. 18.
The public may attend the opening reception to be held from 5-7 p.m. Friday, Jan. 13.
The reception provides an opportunity to meet and talk with the artists, view their work and visit with other community members. Light refreshments will be served and acoustic music will be provided by guitarist Dan Vellone.
Both Barbara and Bernie Green are long-time Old Forge “locals” who are active in the community.
Barbara started weaving baskets in 2007 after participating in a workshop to make an Adirondack Pack Basket. She now leads workshops of her own.
“I am proud of my craft,” Barbara said. “Weaving gives me the ability to be creative, while creating something functional.”
She said she finds the craft challenging, but also relaxing. For more about Barbara and her business, Adirondack Green House Basketry, go to adirondackbasketry.com.
According to Bernie, her birdhouse pursuits, Kindle Wood Crafts, are “a hobby that started out of sheer boredom and piles of kindling wood scraps that were given to me for my always ‘hungry’ wood stove. As I sorted through the scraps, I decided that some were too nice to burn and my creative mind saw potential for log cabin birdhouses. After a few trials, I finally got the hang of it and kept going.”
Bernie said she hopes visitors will enjoy her “little homes” as much as she did creating them.
Rising Stars classes start Saturday
Four shows on exhibit at art center
View seeks assistant art teacher
Railway Historical Society lists season’s events
- 4:00pm 03/22/17Rising Stars classes start Saturday
- 4:00pm 03/22/17Four shows on exhibit at art center
- 4:00pm 03/22/17View seeks assistant art teacher
- 4:00pm 03/22/17Railway Historical Society lists season’s events
- 4:00pm 03/22/17Women’s suffrage program among events in Oneida Library
- 4:00pm 03/22/17Author discusses book on women’s suffrage
- 4:00pm 03/22/17Exhibitions showcase young and established
- 4:00pm 03/22/17Slate roofing workshop April 8
- 4:00pm 03/18/17Acting workshop Sunday in Rome Community Theater
- 4:00pm 03/18/17Religious struggle in poems topic