Baskets and Birdhouses opens Friday
OLD FORGE — “Baskets and Birdhouses” Art Exhibit, by mother and daughter artisans Barbara and Bernie Green, is on display in the Judith Lowenstein Cohen Memorial Wing of the Old Forge Library, 220 Crosby Blvd., through Feb. 18.
The public may attend the opening reception to be held from 5-7 p.m. Friday, Jan. 13.
The reception provides an opportunity to meet and talk with the artists, view their work and visit with other community members. Light refreshments will be served and acoustic music will be provided by guitarist Dan Vellone.
Both Barbara and Bernie Green are long-time Old Forge “locals” who are active in the community.
Barbara started weaving baskets in 2007 after participating in a workshop to make an Adirondack Pack Basket. She now leads workshops of her own.
“I am proud of my craft,” Barbara said. “Weaving gives me the ability to be creative, while creating something functional.”
She said she finds the craft challenging, but also relaxing. For more about Barbara and her business, Adirondack Green House Basketry, go to adirondackbasketry.com.
According to Bernie, her birdhouse pursuits, Kindle Wood Crafts, are “a hobby that started out of sheer boredom and piles of kindling wood scraps that were given to me for my always ‘hungry’ wood stove. As I sorted through the scraps, I decided that some were too nice to burn and my creative mind saw potential for log cabin birdhouses. After a few trials, I finally got the hang of it and kept going.”
Bernie said she hopes visitors will enjoy her “little homes” as much as she did creating them.
Vernon Historical plans Show and Tell Tuesday
Free Wellin Kids event Friday
40 Years of Harmony concert rehearsals start Sunday
Poet Baca gives free reading March 1
- 4:00pm 02/23/17Vernon Historical plans Show and Tell Tuesday
- 4:00pm 02/22/17Free Wellin Kids event Friday
- 4:00pm 02/22/1740 Years of Harmony concert rehearsals start Sunday
- 4:00pm 02/22/17Poet Baca gives free reading March 1
- 4:00pm 02/17/17Free F.I.L.M. series focuses on comedy
- 4:00pm 02/15/17Winter break programs offered in Oneida library
- 4:00pm 02/15/17Three-day snow art event at View
- 4:00pm 02/15/17Lessons on success topic of Hamilton lecture Tuesday
- 4:00pm 02/15/17Camera club exhibit opens Feb. 22
- 4:00pm 02/15/17‘Freedom Riders’ film showing in Jervis Feb. 23