Baskets and Birdhouses opens Friday
OLD FORGE — “Baskets and Birdhouses” Art Exhibit, by mother and daughter artisans Barbara and Bernie Green, is on display in the Judith Lowenstein Cohen Memorial Wing of the Old Forge Library, 220 Crosby Blvd., through Feb. 18.
The public may attend the opening reception to be held from 5-7 p.m. Friday, Jan. 13.
The reception provides an opportunity to meet and talk with the artists, view their work and visit with other community members. Light refreshments will be served and acoustic music will be provided by guitarist Dan Vellone.
Both Barbara and Bernie Green are long-time Old Forge “locals” who are active in the community.
Barbara started weaving baskets in 2007 after participating in a workshop to make an Adirondack Pack Basket. She now leads workshops of her own.
“I am proud of my craft,” Barbara said. “Weaving gives me the ability to be creative, while creating something functional.”
She said she finds the craft challenging, but also relaxing. For more about Barbara and her business, Adirondack Green House Basketry, go to adirondackbasketry.com.
According to Bernie, her birdhouse pursuits, Kindle Wood Crafts, are “a hobby that started out of sheer boredom and piles of kindling wood scraps that were given to me for my always ‘hungry’ wood stove. As I sorted through the scraps, I decided that some were too nice to burn and my creative mind saw potential for log cabin birdhouses. After a few trials, I finally got the hang of it and kept going.”
Bernie said she hopes visitors will enjoy her “little homes” as much as she did creating them.
Library hosts poetry workshops Saturday
Onondaga Lake documentary premieres Friday in Syracuse
Womack Photography show opens Thursday
Following the Trail of Laura Ingalls Wilder among library events
- 4:00pm 01/18/17Library hosts poetry workshops Saturday
- 4:00pm 01/18/17Onondaga Lake documentary premieres Friday in Syracuse
- 4:00pm 01/18/17Womack Photography show opens Thursday
- 4:00pm 01/18/17Following the Trail of Laura Ingalls Wilder among library events
- 4:00pm 01/18/17Spaghetti, auction Jan. 21 aid Cleveland Historical Society
- 4:00pm 01/18/17Remsen library offers Preschool Story Hour
- 4:00pm 01/18/17Nature story hour for preschoolers
- 4:00pm 01/11/17O’Shea named View’s interim leader
- 4:00pm 01/11/17Baskets and Birdhouses opens Friday
- 4:00pm 01/11/17Jervis has snowshoes, book signing