Author to discuss ‘Free Speech and Unfree News’ at Hamilton College
CLINTON — Sam Lebovic, author of “Free Speech and Unfree News: The Paradox of Press Freedom in America,” will present a lecture on the topic on Monday, Oct. 16, at 4 p.m., in the Red Pit, Kirner-Johnson Building, at Hamilton College. The lecture is free and open to the public.
Lebovic is an assistant professor of history at George Mason University. He is a historian of American politics and culture, with particular interests in mass media, democracy, civil liberties, and the role of the U.S. in the world.
His book, “Free Speech and Unfree News: The Paradox of Press Freedom in America,” was published by Harvard University Press in 2016. A comprehensive history of press freedom in theory, law, and practice from the dawn of the 20th century until the present, the book argues that the First Amendment right to free speech has been insufficient to guarantee a free press.
Exploring problems ranging from the rise of state secrecy to the corporate consolidation of the newspaper industry, the book uses the history of press freedom to ask new questions about the role of the press in American democracy, and to better explain the crises that beset today’s press during the “war on whistleblowers” and the ongoing death of the daily newspaper.
Works in Progress reception Oct. 25
‘Hocus Pocus,’ Live Clue event at Jervis
Exhibit marks 200th anniversary of Historic Zoar Village
Oneida library hosts Escape the Library teen event, AARP driving course
- 4:00pm 10/18/17Works in Progress reception Oct. 25
- 4:00pm 10/18/17‘Hocus Pocus,’ Live Clue event at Jervis
- 4:00pm 10/18/17Exhibit marks 200th anniversary of Historic Zoar Village
- 4:00pm 10/18/17Oneida library hosts Escape the Library teen event, AARP driving course
- 4:00pm 10/18/17Mansion House marks International Archaelogy Day Saturday
- 4:00pm 10/18/17Fall events announced at Shawangunk Nature Preserve
- 4:00pm 10/18/17A Question of Survival presentation Tuesday at Old Forge Library
- 4:00pm 10/18/17Wreath making first ‘Parent and Me’ workshop Saturday at View
- 4:00pm 10/18/17Jervis offers Children’s Fall ‘Crafternoon’ event Saturday
- 4:00pm 10/11/17Western Historical Society meets Thursday