Author to discuss ‘Free Speech and Unfree News’ at Hamilton College
CLINTON — Sam Lebovic, author of “Free Speech and Unfree News: The Paradox of Press Freedom in America,” will present a lecture on the topic on Monday, Oct. 16, at 4 p.m., in the Red Pit, Kirner-Johnson Building, at Hamilton College. The lecture is free and open to the public.
Lebovic is an assistant professor of history at George Mason University. He is a historian of American politics and culture, with particular interests in mass media, democracy, civil liberties, and the role of the U.S. in the world.
His book, “Free Speech and Unfree News: The Paradox of Press Freedom in America,” was published by Harvard University Press in 2016. A comprehensive history of press freedom in theory, law, and practice from the dawn of the 20th century until the present, the book argues that the First Amendment right to free speech has been insufficient to guarantee a free press.
Exploring problems ranging from the rise of state secrecy to the corporate consolidation of the newspaper industry, the book uses the history of press freedom to ask new questions about the role of the press in American democracy, and to better explain the crises that beset today’s press during the “war on whistleblowers” and the ongoing death of the daily newspaper.
Posthumous RACC exhibit honors Marilyn Schlueter
Duo performs Civil War themed concert
Artwork created live at ‘The JAM’ sculpture event Saturday at SUNY Poly
Paint & Sip Friday at Unity Hall
- 4:00pm 04/18/18Posthumous RACC exhibit honors Marilyn Schlueter
- 4:00pm 04/18/18Duo performs Civil War themed concert
- 4:00pm 04/18/18Artwork created live at ‘The JAM’ sculpture event Saturday at SUNY Poly
- 4:00pm 04/18/18Paint & Sip Friday at Unity Hall
- 4:00pm 04/18/18Black River Canal Museum hosts ‘Era of Navigation’
- 4:00pm 04/18/18Encaustic painting workshop April 28-29 at View
- 4:00pm 04/18/18Jervis offers Online Genealogy help session Monday
- 4:00pm 04/18/18Zoomobile visits Remsen library Monday
- 4:00pm 04/18/18MWPAI screens ‘Eve and the Fire Horse’
- 4:00pm 04/18/18Screen-Free Week events at Pulaski Historical Society