Author discusses Navy Family book in library Thursday
ONEIDA — The Oneida Public Library, 220 Broad St., will host retired Oneida High School history teacher Rich MacAlpine as he discusses his latest book, “Admiral Frank H. Schofield: A Portrait of an American Navy Family (1886-1942)” at 2 p.m. Thursday, April 20.
The event is free.
Copies of the book will be available for purchase and autographs. Call 315-363-3050 for more information.
Other events will be offered during the coming week:
Thursday, April 20:
Ready to Read, 10 a.m. Preschool children may join parents and guardians to enjoy early-literacy programs including songs, crafts and games with Youth Services Coordinator Megan Gillander.
Spring Crafts, 11:30 a.m. Students on spring recess may make seasonal crafts suitable to take home. All materials are supplied.
Friday, April 21:
Celebrate Earth Day, 11:30 a.m. Youth Services Coordinator Megan Gillander will lead elementary school students, and their parents or guardians, in programs and crafts that promote recycling. Activities include is a trash hunt for recyclables.
Monday, April 24:
Baby Brain Booster Art, 10 a.m. Youth Services Coordinator Megan Gillander will show parents of infants how to boost their children’s cognitive abilities by combining basic shapes and high contrasts.
Tuesday, April 25:
Ready to Read, 10 a.m. Same as Thursday.
Wednesday, April 26:
Tech Help, 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. Volunteer technical advisers will help laptop and other device users set up, adapt and get the most out of their devices. No appointment is needed.
Family Story Hour, 6:30 p.m. Youth Services Coordinator Megan Gillander hosts a program for students in second grade and younger, and their parents or guardians, that features stories and games to stimulate imaginations and language skills.
Norm Dann on Elizabeth Smart Miller, 7 p.m. As part of the OPL’s 2017 Centennial Celebration of Women’s Suffrage in New York, historian Norman Dann will talk about Elizabeth Smith Miller, the daughter of Gerrit Smith who was co-founder of the National Woman Suffrage Association and the inventor of “bloomers.” Copies of Dann’s new biography of Miller, “Ballots, Bloomers, and Marmalade,” will be available for purchase and signing by the author.
Thursday, April 27:
Ready to Read, 10 a.m. Same as April 20.
Clinton Historical Society offers Christmas ornament
Yoga for Seniors, Family Movie Night at Oneida library
Foothills arts guild meets Thursday
Doubly Mad event in Utica Friday
- 4:00pm 11/15/17Clinton Historical Society offers Christmas ornament
- 4:00pm 11/15/17Yoga for Seniors, Family Movie Night at Oneida library
- 4:00pm 11/15/17Foothills arts guild meets Thursday
- 4:00pm 11/15/17Doubly Mad event in Utica Friday
- 4:00pm 11/15/17Welsh heritage subject of history center event
- 4:00pm 11/15/17Oneida County History Center seasonal bookstore opens Nov. 24
- 4:00pm 11/08/17View offers Christmas in the Adirondacks gingerbread competition
- 4:00pm 11/08/17Author emcee for open mic night in Old Forge
- 4:00pm 11/08/17Award-winning children’s book author speaks on Nov. 16
- 4:00pm 11/08/17Colgate Bookstore announces November events